Developer tools for debugging and testing things as you develop and troubleshoot your WordPress site.
- View debug.log and error logs directly from admin in your timezone, conveniently combining repeats for readability, and with quick links to search Google for suggested solutions.
- Quickly clear your debug and error logs with a click of a button.
- View and download backups of wp-config.php file and .htaccess file from the admin area.
- Add/remove snippets on the wp-config.php file without editing the file directly.
- Add/remove snippets on the .htaccess file without editing the file directly.
- View and download functions.php file.
- Toggle wp_mail() failure logging.
- View and edit user meta, including custom meta, for a given user directly from the admin panel.
- Add/remove roles for a specific user.
- View and edit post meta, including custom meta for a given post directly from the admin panel.
- Clear all taxonomy terms from a given post.
- View all php.ini values.
- View detailed information about your PHP’s configuration.
- View cookies.
- View scheduled cron jobs.
- View all site options and registered settings.
- Clear all or expired transients easily.
- View available WP global variables with ease.
- View additional details about active plugins, and see warnings about outdated plugins at a glance.
- Regex playground with cheat sheet.
- Enable/disable WP heartbeat from settings.
- Extend cURL timeout errors easily.
- Shortcode Finder displays all available shortcodes and lets you search posts and pages where they are used.
- Additional user and post information on admin bar.
- View online users to avoid working on the site at the same time as other admins and users.
- Centering tool added to the admin bar that helps you line up elements on a page.
- See all shortcodes used on any page from the front-end in the admin bar.
- If Gravity Forms is installed, see form ids in the admin bar.
- Replaces „Howdy” on admin bar with your user ID.
- Adds date/time that the page was loaded to admin bar for comparing two windows.
- Quick links for debugging users, posts, pages, and Gravity Forms forms and entries.
- Option to remove items from admin bar.
- Allow posts and pages to be searched by ID in the admin area.
- Access to a handful of additional functions and hooks that you can use for debugging.
- A great list of links to helpful resources.
- Install the plugin from your website’s plugin directory, or upload the plugin to your plugins folder.
- Activate it.
- Go to Developer Debug Tools in your admin menu.
- Enter your account email address as a „Developer Email Address” to view the rest of the tools.
Should I backup my wp-config.php and .htaccess files before using the tools to add/remove snippets?
Yes! It is always best to back these files up when making updates to them.
Can I use this plugin on a live website?
Yes, but you should always make a backup of your site before using functionality that makes changes to your core files or database.
My site broke when updating my wp-config.php or .htaccess. How do I revert back to my original?
The originals are stored in your root folder and renamed with the date and time from which they were replaced. For example, the wp-config.php file will have been renamed to wp-config-2022-08-22-15-25-46.php and replaced with a new file. Simply log into your FTP or File Manager (from your host), rename the current file to something else such as wp-config-BROKEN.php (just in case you need it), and then rename the version you want to revert back to as wp-config.php. If everything looks good, then you can either delete this file or send a copy of it to me so I can figure out what went wrong. You can do so in the Discord server mentioned below.
Why can’t I edit a username for a user?
Some hosts will not allow you to update a user’s username directly from WP. In order to do so, you’ll have to update it in your database directly.
Where is the centering tool?
Viewable only on the front-end, there is a link on the admin bar that shows +Off. Click on it and it will add a transparent bar with lines on it at the top of the page underneath the admin bar. If you click on the centering bar it will expand all the way down the page. Click on it again and it will minimize back to the top. You can click on the +On link from the admin bar to make it go away.
Where are the quick debug links?
You have to enable them on the Developer Debug Tools settings first. Once they are enabled, an „ID” column will be added to the user and/or post admin list pages. Next to the user or post’s ID you will see a lightning bolt icon. Clicking on the lightning bolt will redirect you to the User Meta or Post Meta tab on our plugin where you can view and edit all of the meta easily.
Where can I get further support?
Join my WordPress Support Discord server
Közreműködők és fejlesztők
“Developer Debug Tools” egy nyílt forráskódú szoftver. A bővítményhez a következő személyek járultak hozzá:Közreműködők
“Developer Debug Tools” fordítása a saját nyelvünkre.
Érdekeltek vagyunk a fejlesztésben?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Tweak: Added full changelog to readme.txt
- Tweak: Updated changelog to use commonly used prefixes (Fix, Tweak, and Update)
- Tweak: Changed
gmdate()in activation hook (props @sybrew)
- Tweak: Changed multiple calls to
site_url()to variable in root file (props @sybrew)
- Tweak: Moved
includesfolder (props @sybrew)
- Fix: Patched security issues with downloads (props @sybrew)
- Fix: Unserialize notice on usermeta tab
- Fix: Error with GFAPI not being found on feed page
- Tweak: Sorted plugins alphabetically by name
- Update: Added quick debug links to Gravity Form entry page
- Tweak: Moved quick debug link results for Gravity Forms to it’s own page instead of sharing the Testing tab
- Update: Added quick debug link for Gravity Forms feeds
- Update: Added more recommended plugins
- Tweak: Redacted sensitive information from view to hide when getting support and showing demos
- Fix: Shortcode finder attribute field not filtering out value properly
- Update: Added functions.php viewer
- Update: Added a simple functions.php viewer
- Update: Added backups sections to wp-config/htaccess tabs with ability to clear old backups
- Tweak: Disabled preview button on wp-config/htaccess tabs if nothing is checked or unchecked
- Fix: Deprecated function in online users class
- Fix: Admin side menu showing tabs for non-devs
- Tweak: Made cURL seconds field show/hide with JS instead of needing to save the changes first
- Update: Added settings link, website link, and Discord support link to plugins list page
- Update: Added message for user that activated the plugin with instructions on how to begin
- Tweak: Only make paths to plugin/theme editor pages if editors are not disabled
- Update: Added notice to top of Cron Jobs page if
WP Cronis disabled
- Update: Added two more snippets to wp-config:
- Update: Added feedback form in About tab
- Update: Added Admin Help Docs plugin to recommended plugins and on About tab
- Fix: Minor bugs related to multisite
- Update: Added a couple more recommended plugins
- Update: Added buttons to cookies tab for clearing cookies and browser local storage
- Fix: Debug quick link on post edit screens not showing up
- Update: Added link to primary site on debug log if not on primary site
- Fix: Subsite links on network settings page all pointing to primary site
- Fix: Debug log easy viewer highlighting issue
- Tweak: Changed classic debug log viewer to show raw last 100 lines with user’s timezone
- Tweak: Shortened submenu slugs to not include full url
- Tweak: Removed
clear_debug_logquery string so we can refresh log without clearing it again
- Fix: Browser tab customization on subsites that are not primary
- Fix: Active tab highlighting on side menu
- Tweak: Updated plugin slug in url to not include path to options page
- Fix: Bug on network plugins tab
- Update: Added inactive plugins to plugins tab
- Update: Added „Sites” column to plugins tab on multisite network to see which sites plugins are installed on
- Update: Added multisite suffixes to title and browser tabs to clearly identify which site you are on
- Update: Added support for multisite
- Tweak: Reverted to display name in Online Users if no first and last name is provided
- Tweak: Ensured
is_plugin_active()is defined for admin on multisite
- Update: Added setting for condensing admin bar items
- Tweak: Updated
ddtt_debug_log_help_colhooks with more options
- Update: Added view recent links to debug log in Easy Reader
- Update: Added links to color key on debug log in Easy Reader to filter results
- Update: Added a search field to debug log in Easy Reader
- Fix: Removed plugin from menu if not admin
- Fix: Error on debug log easy reader
- Fix: Error in online user column
- Update: Added max filesize for debug log to prevent site crashing with filter to change amount
- Tweak: Changed plugins last modified date to developer’s timezone
- Update: Added filter for changing debug log help links
- Update: Added filter for changing debug log highlight colors
- Update: Added Easy Reader view and viewer options to debug log
- Tweak: Changed logs tab slug to „logs” instead of „debug”
- Update: Added full regex array and preg_match_all with pattern to Regex tab for easy copying
- Update: Added tab titles to browser tabs, and push user/post ids on user/post meta tabs
- Tweak: Changed PHP testing playground local path to theme root folder, old path still works as backup
- Fix: PHP Warning for undefined variable
- Update: Added setting for swapping out discord link if already a member
- Update: Added confirmation for updating wp-config.php and .htaccess files
- Tweak: Combined repeated shortcodes found on admin bar, replaced with count
- Update: Added sources to available shortcodes on shortcode finder
- Tweak: Changed shortcode finder input field to select field
- Update: Added filter for omitting shortcodes from shortcode finder, good for minimizing page builders
- Update: Added capability for posts and pages to be searched by ID in the admin area
- Tweak: Changed order of admin bar items
- Update: Added online users feature
- Update: Added quick debug links to Gravity Forms action links
- Tweak: Changed admin bar user info to existing wp-account so Debug Bar will work
- Tweak: Minimized space at top of each page
- Fix: Log path notice
- Update: Added shortcode finder
- Tweak: Allowed disabling of admin bar items
- Fix: Beta htaccess editing was still in test mode
- Update: Added Resource dropdown to admin bar
- Update: Added additional resources
- Update: Added jQuery versions to header
- Update: Added Cron Jobs tab
- Update: Added Cookies tab
- Update: Added PHP Info tab
- Tweak: Added WP.org links to About tab
- Fix: Test # incrementing when not used
- Fix: Not finding Gravity Form forms on admin bar if added via Cornerstone element
- Fix: Not allowing updating user or post meta keys that are not all lowercase
- Update: Made preparations for release to WP.org repository
- Created plugin on May 13, 2022