This plugin adds support for Instant Articles for Facebook, which is a new way for publishers to distribute fast, interactive stories on Facebook. Instant Articles are preloaded in the Facebook mobile app so they load instantly.
With the plugin active, a new menu will be available for you to connect to your Facebook Page and start publishing your Instant Articles. You’ll also see the status of each Instant Articles submission on the edit page of your posts.
A best effort is made to generate valid Instant Article markup from your posts’ content/metadata and publish it to Facebook. The plugin knows how to transform your posts’ markup from a set of rules which forms a mapping between elements in you source markup and the valid Instant Article components. We refer to this “glue” between the two as the Transformer Rules.
Built-in to the plugin are many pre-defined transformer rules which aims to cover standard WordPress installations. If your WordPress content contains elements which are not covered by the built-in ruleset, you can define your own additional rules to extend or override the defaults in the Settings of this plugin, under: Plugin Configuration > Publishing Settings > Custom transformer rules.
Support for this plugin is provided for PHP 8 migrations, but both Automattic/WPVIP and Facebook/Meta have stopped all active development. At this point in the product lifecycle, publishers should be advised to stop using this plugin, and instead, use direct site traffic for Facebook content.
Meta have announced that Instant Articles will have all support dropped at April 2023.
Access to Instant Articles
The current criteria for access to Instant Articles are:
– your Facebook Page must have an established presence of at least 90 days
– your content adheres to the Instant Article Policies
Before your Instant Articles can be published on Facebook, your feed must undergo an initial review and approval. Facebook requires a minimum number of 10 articles in your feed before being eligible for review. The review process checks that your draft Instant Articles are properly formatted, have content consistency with their mobile web counterparts, and adhere to the community standards and content policies.
It’s important to note that if you use meta fields to add extra text, images or videos to your Posts, Facebook will expect you to add these to your Instant Articles output too. This plugin includes hooks to help you do that.
See Facebook’s documentation for full details of the submission process.
Once your feed has been approved, new posts will automatically be taken live on Instant Articles, and existing posts will be taken live once you update them. In order to stay in the Instant Articles program, you must remain active by creating new content and maintaining a minimal readership.
From your WordPress dashboard
- Visit ‘Plugins > Add New’
- Search for ‘Facebook Instant Articles for WP’
- Activate the plugin on your Plugins page
- Download Facebook Instant Articles for WP
- Upload the uncompressed directory to ‘/wp-content/plugins/’
- Activate the plugin on your Plugins page
- Click on the ‘Instant Articles’ menu and follow the instructions to activate the plugin
Why is there content from my post missing in the generated Instant Article?
More likely than not, this is because there is markup in the body of your post that is not mapped to a recognized Instant Article component. On the “Edit Post” screen for your post, look for additional information about the transformed output shown within the Facebook Instant Articles module located at the bottom of the screen.
In the Instant Articles module for my post, what does the “This post was transformed into an Instant Article with some warnings” message mean?
When transforming your post into an Instant Article, this plugin will show warnings when it encounters content which might not be valid when published to Facebook. When you see this message, it is recommended to resolve each warning individually.
What does the “No rules defined for ____ in the context of ____” warning mean?
This plugin transforms your post into an Instant Article by matching markup in your content to one of the components available in Instant Articles markup. Although the plugin contains many built-in rules to handle common cases, there may be markup in your post which is not recognized by these existing rules. In this case, you may be required to define some of your own rules. See below for more details about where and how.
How do I define my own transformer rules so that content from my site is rendered appropriately in an Instant Article?
Your custom rules can be defined in the Settings of this plugin, under: Plugin Configuration > Publishing Settings > Custom transformer rules. More detailed instructions about all the options available is documented in the Custom Transformer Rules section of the Facebook Instant Articles SDK.
I know of a custom transformer rule which is pretty common in the community. How can it be included by default in the plugin?
You can propose popular transformer rules to be included in the plugin by suggesting it on GitHub.
How do I post articles to Instant Articles after plugin is installed?
You can re-publish existing articles (simply edit + save) or post new articles in order to submit them to Instant Articles. After you have 10 articles added, you will be able to submit them for review.
How do I change the feed slug/URL if I’m using the RSS integration?
To change the feed slug, set the constant INSTANT_ARTICLES_SLUG to whatever you like. If you do, remember to flush the rewrite rules afterwards.
By default it is set to
instant-articleswhich usually will give you a feed URL set to
How do I flush the rewrite rules after changing the feed slug?
Usually simply visiting the permalinks settings page in the WordPress dashboard will do the trick (/wp-admin/options-permalink.php)
Közreműködők és fejlesztők
“Instant Articles for WP” egy nyílt forráskódú szoftver. A bővítményhez a következő személyek járultak hozzá:Közreműködők
“Instant Articles for WP” fordítása a saját nyelvünkre.
Érdekeltek vagyunk a fejlesztésben?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
5.0.2 – 2022-10-29
- Fix: Make
5.0.1 – 2022-10-18
- Refresh dependency that handles fixing of transformer encodings.
5.0.0 – 2022-10-18
Minimum PHP requirement is increased from PHP 5.4 to PHP 7.1.
Minimum WordPress requirement is increased from WP 4.3.0 to WP 4.7.0.
- #683 Fix wizard option dynamic properties for PHP 8.2.
- #831 Fix the way filters are applied in get_cover_media().
- #1025 Support for installing as Composer Package.
- #1058 Allow post content caching to be disabled.
- #1073 Update release.sh.
- #1076 Reduce plugin’s cache burden for remote requests.
- #1082 Fix: pass the missing $post param to the get_the_excerpt filter.
- #1092 Add support for PHP 8.
- #1095 Add GitHub workflow to mark issues and PR as stale.
- #1097 Actions: Remove separate PHP 8.2 composer install.
- #1098 Improve tests.
- #1099 Basic code maintenance improvements.
4.2.1 – 2020-06-10
- #1049 Add support for new guttenberg layout elements (@diegoquinteiro)
- #1012 update composer modules (@paulschreiber)
- #1001 Load functions which rely on
plugins_loadedaction hook in VIP Go environment (@paulschreiber)
- #990 avoid undefined index error in $display_warning_column (@paulschreiber)
- #1002 add Comscore plugin (@paulschreiber)
- #1007 Update Facebook SDK versions (@paulschreiber)
4.2.0 – 2018-11-29
- #997 Removed fields from deprecated feature to enable comments/likes/share from media content (@everton-rosario)
4.1.1 – 2018-07-17
- #962 Updating description for the plugin on website (@Blakomen)
- #1 Merging into local (@diegoquinteiro, @everton-rosario, @algmelo)
- #957 Delete current transient with autoload=yes. (@everton-rosario, @algmelo)
- #937 Add token-less re-scrape with request signature (@diegoquinteiro)
- #952 Updating description for the plugin (@Blakomen)
- #910 Add PassThroughRule for Grammarly (@robbiet480)
- #941 Add support for GTM4WP (@robbiet480)
- #898 Added tranformation warning indicator column (@Kluny)
- #904 Enables setup for updating/invalidating articles cache from Facebook scraper (@everton-rosario, @diegoquinteiro)
- #896 feat(playbuzz): support for the next major playbuzz plugin version (@playbuzz)
- #740 (wizard) Update wording about AMP markup gen (@Djiit)
- #870 [bugfix] calling get_article_style to apply the style filter (@vkama)
4.0.6 – 2017-12-04
- #814 Add default rule for Twitter blockquote (@pestevez)
- #806 Clarify requirement of site connection in README (@pestevez)
- #798 remove article rescrape code (@timjacobi)
- #777 update instructions (@timjacobi)
- #778 Add label definitions (@timjacobi)
- #792 Change meta box and readme so user doesn’t think IAs are actually submitted to Facebook (@timjacobi)
- #797 Display error message if meta box can’t be loaded (@timjacobi)
- #775 Adds caching to instant_articles_embed_oembed_html (@emrikol)
4.0.5 – 2017-08-24
- #750 Fix query limit and escaping on AMP generation (@diegoquinteiro)
4.0.4 – 2017-07-27
- #738 Add changelog to script (@diegoquinteiro)
- #737 Updates IA SDK to 1.6.2 and dependencies (@diegoquinteiro)
4.0.3 – 2017-07-20
- #725 Restore the $current_blog global and fix the post ID reference (@kasparsd)
4.0.2 – 2017-06-30
- #708 Do not process non-post pages. Fixes #707 (@diegoquinteiro)
- #709 Add cache layer for avoiding transforming the article at page render (@diegoquinteiro)
4.0.1 – 2017-06-28
- #706 Check for array index before using it (@diegoquinteiro)
- #705 Enable deletion of JSON AMP Style and removes an undef index (@vkama)
- #704 Fixed several php notices. Also fixed a bug in should_subit_post() (@vkama)
4.0.0 – 2017-06-27
- #702 V4.0 (@vkama, @diegoquinteiro, @everton-rosario, @sakatam, @abdusfauzi)
- #647 Fix „Empty string supplied as input” bug (@abdusfauzi)
- #680 Adding support to IA->AMP conversion (@vkama)
- #649 allow markups in footer/copyright (@sakatam)
- #643 Open Graph Ingestion Flow (@diegoquinteiro, @everton-rosario)
- #629 Update Google Analytics compat (@dlackty)
3.3.4 – 2017-05-10
- #602 Add post ID to
- #622 Adds ver= to invalidate plugin resource files (@everton-rosario)
- #645 Fix wp_is_post_autosave() parameter value (@abdusfauzi)
- #623 Allow for alternative file path for json rules (@andykillen)
- #624 fix merge damage (@sakatam)
- #616 Extracted anonymous inline function (@everton-rosario)
- #609 Apester plugin support (@oraricha)
- #617 Switch on/off configuration for enabling comments/likes by default (@everton-rosario)
- #612 Add an option to set a footer (@sakatam)
3.3.2 – 2017-02-13
- #418 Call instant_articles_post_published hook to determine published status (@apeschar)
- #611 capability to toggle RTL option (@sakatam)
- #604 Fix typo for $provider_url at L42, L44 and L46 (@abdusfauzi)
3.3.1 – 2017-01-31
- #598 Fix typo on script (@diegoquinteiro)
- #595 Add transformer rule for cite element (@davebonds)
- #59 add vimeo.com into oEmbed $provider_name (@abdusfauzi)
- #597 Don’t try to load embeds compat unless we’re in Instant Articles context (@diegoquinteiro, @rinatkhaziev)
- #568 Add
- #287 Ad de_DE (@swissky)
- #578 Change save_post priority (@cmjaimet)
- #592 Add missing information to composer.json (@onnimonni)
- #562 Add release script (@diegoquinteiro)
3.3 – 2016-12-16
- #560 Remove deprecated rules and add rules for imgs inside links (@diegoquinteiro)
- #525 Update WordPress.com stats code to use FBIA SDK. (@Automattic)
- #535 Fixes #515 – Enables Playbuzz plugin out of the box (@everton-rosario)
3.2.2 – 2016-11-29
- #543 Fix variable name (@diegoquinteiro)
3.2.1 – 2016-11-25
- #538 Show message on meta-box when post is filtered out (@diegoquinteiro)
- #504 Add instant_articles_should_submit_post filter hook to allow developers control of whether the post should be submitted to IA (@rinatkhaziev)
- #498 Release v3.2 (@Automattic)
- #437 Blocks publishing of articles with transformation warnings (@diegoquinteiro, @everton-rosario)
- #423 Fixes #205 – Caption in
p> tag (@everton-rosario)
– #435 Setup Wizard copy updates (@demoive)
– #497 Getter was renamed on SDK, updating here too (@diegoquinteiro)
– #417 Support for Playbuzz plugin (@everton-rosario)
– #416 Use the instant_articles_post_types filter when registering metaboxes (@technosailor)
3.2 – 2016-10-05
- #484 Apply the second argument to
- #481 Token Invalidation flow (@everton-rosario)
- #462 Migration from old fb sdk (@evertonsario)
- #436 Wp tests migration (@everton-rosario)
- #421 Fixes #408 adding rules for gallery (@everton-rosario)
- #376 Added rule configuration for Instagram embed (@everton-rosario)
- #316 Add development mode support to status meta box (@simonengelhardt)
3.1.3 – 2016-09-19
- #469 Release stuff for v3.1.3 (@Automattic)
- #450 Do not block page selection if URL is not claimed (@diegoquinteiro)
- #464 Fixes #452 – Use of empty() on PHP prior to v5.5 (@demoive)
- #465 Relative CSS to fix missing icons (@everton-rosario)
- #458 Fix expiring token blocking users on page selection state (@diegoquinteiro)
- #403 fix travis.ci build (@sakatam)
- #425 Final release of v3.1 (@Automattic)
- #385 Implemented compat for the get-the-image plugin (@everton-rosario)
- #392 Load functions which rely on
plugins_loadedaction hook in wp.com e… (@nprasath002)
- #402 Properly implemented the get_cover_media function. (@menzow)
- #420 Article with password protection (@everton-rosario)
- #409 Check for undefined index (@gemedet)
3.1 – 2016-08-17
- #413 Fix lingering reference to the old settings page on meta-box (@diegoquinteiro)
- #412 Content update (@diegoquinteiro)
- #400 New flow (@diegoquinteiro, @everton-rosario)
- #399 Revert „Redirect settings” (@philipjohn)
- #394 Apply „the_title” filter (@everton-rosario)
- #389 Redirect settings (@everton-rosario)
- #387 Fix loadHTML warning (@gemedet)
- #378 Added rules for jetpack carousel component (@everton-rosario)
- #379 Don’t call wpautop directly when trying to prepare content for transformation. (@rinatkhaziev)
- #383 Fix updating published posts result in error (@chrisadas)
- #375 Commit blocker option – No warnings in transformer to publish (@everton-rosario)
- #374 Jetpack plugin compatibility – Transformation rules (@everton-rosario)
- #371 Migrated take_live parameter to the published (@everton-rosario)
- #366 InteractiveInsideParagraphRule support and configuration (@everton-rosario)
- #367 Add subtitle to $header when rendering post to IA (@jacobarriola)
- #360 Improve rules for Images inside Paragraphs and Interactive elements (@everton-rosario)
- #356 Ensure that relative URL checking has a host and a path. (@srtfisher)
3.0.1 – 2016-07-13
3.0 – 2016-07-12
- #355 Release v3.0 (@Automattic)
- #354 Remove to avoid breaking elements. See #331 (@Automattic)
- #353 Store and use submission ID when available to fetch the status (@diegoquinteiro)
- #327 use v2.6 of Facebook API (@paulschreiber)
- #263 Escape ampersands before displaying on settings page (@gemedet)
- #301 Check if the global $post object has been set (@srtfisher)
- #290 Fix relative URL issue with oembeds not using absolute URLs (@stuartshields)
- #255 Support tag (@demoive)
- #313 Fixed statically-called loadHTML() (@gemedet)
- #258 Width and Height for Interactive in default rules (@gemedet)
- #343 Only publish posts (ignores pages and other post types) (@diegoquinteiro)
- #342 Replace SocialEmbed rules with Interactive rules (@diegoquinteiro)
- #330 fix whitespace in select/optgroup tags (@paulschreiber)
- #331 WordPress coding standards fixes (@paulschreiber)
- #328 Fix whitespace to match WordPress coding standards (@paulschreiber)
- #285 Remove hyperlinks beginning with a # (@markbarnes)
- #341 Avoid crawler to cache a 404 (@diegoquinteiro)
- #305 Allow filtering of the post types used in the feed (@Automattic)
- #308 Fixed error message: Deprecated: Non-static method DOMDocument::loadH… (@everton-rosario)
- #286 Add GitHub Issue and PR templates (@simonengelhardt)
- #177 Use H1 for header title and cover image caption (@gemedet)
2.11 – 2016-05-17
- #257 Fix scheduled posts with empty IA content (@Aioros)
- #273 Copy updated to align better with scheduled posts (@demoive)
- #271 Checks if it have the node to be shown as warning body (@everton-rosario)
- #264 Add new application header (@diegoquinteiro)
2.10 – 2016-04-29
- #179 Graphics for banner and icon (@demoive)
- #183 WordPress -> WordPress (@lesterchan)
- #213 Labels and documentation changes re: custom transformer rules (@demoive)
2.9 – 2016-04-19
- #174 Prevents from being added to images that were not saved with captions (@bobderrico80)
- #176 Remove unused image.caption property from ImageRule (@demoive)
- #180 Fix empty articles being uploaded on bulk update (@diegoquinteiro)
- #167 Fixes #116 encoding problem (@everton-rosario)
- #173 Fixed empty link to Instant Articles signup (@demoive)
2.8 – 2016-04-14
- #151 Stop publishing drafts (@diegoquinteiro)
2.6 – 2016-04-13
- #115 Added information about initial publishing (@msurguy)
- #105 Update template-settings-info.php (@piscis)
2.1 – 2016-04-11
- #98 Fixes #72 (@diegoquinteiro)
- #90 Change readme.txt to reflect changes in 2.0 (@diegoquinteiro)
- #87 Clean unused files + fixes for 5.4 compatibility (@diegoquinteiro)
2.0 – 2016-04-06
- #70 Use SDK engine (@diegoquinteiro)