Easily create a glossary, encyclopedia or dictionary of your terms and show responsive tooltips when users hover over the terms. New 2021 Version!
CM Glossary Tooltip is a WordPress plugin that enables you to check posts or pages for defined glossary terms, by adding links to a glossary term page that contains the definition of the term used.
The CM Tooltip Glossary plugin displays a tooltip containing the definition when users hover over the specific term.
The CM Tooltip Glossary plugin also creates a responsive glossary index with all tooltip glossary terms used.
This tooltip plugin allows users to add unlimited tooltips to a site or within a glossary of terms.
The Pro editions of the tooltip plugin for WordPress include even more powerful features, such as: audio and video tooltips, Wikipedia, Google Translate and Merriam-Webster integrations, terms with abbreviations and variations, multiple glossaries, several index templates and much more.
The CM tooltip glossary plugin integrates easily with external data from dictionaries, thesauruses, and Wikipedia.
Add-Ons & Extensions
(Some might include pro features)
- Dictionary – Creates a dictionary of specifically used terms on your site.
- Tooltip – Adds tooltip as an anchor to predefined terms that are contained in your site.
- Knowledge base – Creates a knowledge base of useful terms and definitions.
- Encyclopaedia – Builds an internal Encyclopaedia for your site.
- Synonyms – Keeps and displays synonyms of terms that you are using
- Lexicon – Builds a lexicon of terms.
- Vocabulary – Builds a vocabulary of custom words and expressions.
- Explanations – Explains the meanings of words in your posts or pages.
- Translate – Translates terms and definitions into any defined language using Google Translate.
- Wikipedia – Add Wikipedia content to your site.
- YouTube – Show YouTube / Vimeo videos once hovering over a term
- Music – Include mp3 voice or music file for each tooltip
- Amazon – Enhance your site with Tooltips including Amazon product recommendation
- Automatically generates a Glossary index of terms. Example
- Each glossary term has its own unique post. Example
- The tooltip window can optionally appear when the term is hovered over by the cursor. Example
- Term pages can be linked directly from posts or pages.
- Several filters to optimize the Tooltip window and limit the length of description displayed.
- Prevents the glossary from parsing text, when needed, by using a Shortcode [glossary_exclude] text [/glossary_exclude].
- Support Excerpts (if they exist) as a hover-over text that appears in the Tooltip window.
- Control the location and area where the Tooltip appears (pages, posts, homepage)
- Control if the Tooltip should appear more than once.
- Supports UTF-8
Pro Version Features – Content APIs
- Support for Wikipedia – Embed content from Wikipedia on the term page and on the tooltip. Use a shortcode to inset a wikipedia content on any page or post. The Wikipedia content can be taken from any language which has a Wikipedia article. View Image of back-end (eCommerce edition only)
- Support for Audio files with tooltip – Attach an audio file to each term and customize the look and feel of the play button. View Image of back-end (eCommerce edition only)
- Support for Video files with tooltip – Embed a video file taken from YouTube or Vimeo or other video sharing sites and show it in the tooltip. The tooltip can also be transparent to show no background behind the video. View Image of back-end (eCommerce edition only)
- Google Translate Integration – Display translated words into the language of your choice for all terms and definitions, uses the Google Translate API View Image, View Image from Settings (Pro+/eCommerce editions only)
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary Integration – Display the dictionary definition of a term from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary for all words on your Term page and Tooltip. View Demo (Pro+/eCommerce editions only)
- Merriam-Webster Thesaurus Integration – Display the thesaurus synonyms and antonyms from the online Merriam-Webster Thesaurus in your Term page and Tooltip. View Demo (Pro+/eCommerce editions only)
- Support for Amazon Product Recommendations – Choose from one of many Amazon categories and show a product recommendation widget matching the selected term. The link to the product also includes your Amazon Associate ID. View Image of back-end(eCommerce edition only)
- Featured image for each term – A term can have a featured image associated with it. It will show on both the tooltip and the term page. The image size can be defined in the term page settings. (eCommerce edition only)
Pro Version Features – Language Tools
- Support WPML – Support WPML plugin and Multilingual sites
- Related Post – Shows all related posts and pages for each glossary term. This option is cached to enhance performance View Image
- Synonyms – Users of the CM Tooltip Pro can add several Synonyms for each term, so that the Tooltip is be made to appear for all Synonyms in posts or pages that are listed in the Glossary index View Demo
- Singular and Plural – Supports different variations of nouns that allow the user to specify a definition for each term according to the specific use of the word. The Tooltip will appear for all variations in all posts and pages. View Image
- Related Glossary terms – Relates Glossary terms to a specified term which is displayed according to control settings. View Demo
- Glossary Search – Glossary index page is included within a local search engine. Demo (Pro+/eCommerce editions only)
- Glossary Categories – Glossary categories are supported and can be used in the glossary page, also set with a Shortcode. View Demo , Categories in Glossary Index (Pro+/eCommerce editions only)
- Tags – Tooltip Glossary now supports tags per each term. Tags are shown also on the Glossary index page and allow easy filtering of terms. (eCommerce edition only)
- Exclude Term – Glossary terms can be excluded from the Glossary index and Tooltip. View Image
- Term Target Link – Terms are linked and can be targeted to go to an external or custom link View Demo – Click on Ajax and you will be taken outside of site
- Custom Characters – Support for custom characters in alphabetical index
Pro Version Features – Customization
- Link Style – The Pro version of the CM ToolTip gives you the ability to change term link style.
- Tooltip Style – Ability to change Tooltip shape, color and border. View Demo
- Term page Template – Term page uses a template that can be edited and changed.
- Change tooltip font – Select the Tooltip font from 8 available Google fonts View Image
- Transparent tooltip background – Tooltip can now have a transparent background. This supports showing images and videos.
- Index page style – Show the Terms AND Definitions in an Alphabetically sorted index. View Image
Pro Version Features – Benefits
- Anchors inside Tooltip – Tooltip can include anchors which the user can click. View Demo – Hover over HTML
- Widget – The CM ToolTip Pro version includes a glossary widget that shows a random selection of a number of specified terms with a link to the Glossary index. View Demo (Scroll down and look at the right side for Glossary)
- Importálás / Exportálás – Import and Export your glossary file to and from .CSV format.
- Internal Links – Options to add a link back to your glossary page from each term page. View Demo
- Search & Replace Tool – Includes an on the fly search and replace tool to replace text or html code in your posts and pages with newly replaced content. View Image
- Support for double click on any word in a post or page – Any word on any page or post can be double clicked to retrieve information from Wikipedia / Amazon Products Recommendations / Merriam Webster Dictionary or Thesaurus. View Image of back-end
Pro Version Features – Settings
- Mobile-Friendly – Detects Mobile devices and displays the Tooltip only when term is clicked. Tooltip includes a link to the term page. View Image
- Optimized for Speed – Parsing engine is optimized for speed and can hold many thousands more terms without slowing down the site
- Permalink – Tooltip permalink can be changed.
- Pagination – The CM ToolTip Pro version gives you the ability to add pagination to the glossary page on both server side and the client side of the plugin. (Support is provided to speed up extra large glossaries). Administrators can also control the number of items that appear on each page. View Demo
- Editor Button – Editor button to support glossary exclusions.
- Multisite – Support for WP Multisite.
- Gratitude Message – Does not include the CMinds Gratitude message in the footer.
- Localization – All labels are external in the settings and can be localized easily.
- Shortcodes – Many shortcoes to support glossary operation and embed within post or pages. List of supported shortcodes
- Custom Links – Manually add custom links from your Term page View Image
recommendation in the tooltip once hovering a term (View Image of Back-end), (View Image of front-end)
Code and Style Issues
The alphabetical index for the Glossary index is based on jQuery ListNav Plugin
glossary, tooltip, lexicon, dictionary, knowledgebase, posts, definition, definitions, tooltip, automatic, hints, hint, tip, tool-tip, dictionary, Encyclopaedia, knowledge base, index, keywords, terms, knowledge base, knowledgebase, lexicon, synonyms, plural, singular, descriptions, description, explain, explanation, explanatory dictionary, Tooltips, vocabulary, words, word, expression, expressions, appendix, technical terms, content management, knowledge management, highlight, concordance, language, reference, terminology, jargon, palaver, style, talk, word, wording, thesaurus, word stock, wordbook, wordlist, archive, catalog, directory, index, listing, menu, source, archives, atlas, accent, expression, lingua, slang, bilingual, dialectic, expressed, lexical, literal, term, entry, verbal, verb, literature, book, literature, sourcebook, word list, translate, translation, google translate, merriam-webster, wikipedia, hint, youtube, vimeo, mp3, mp4, ecommerce, tags, amazon, products, products recommendations, recommendations, support, comments, images, page, pages, plugin, post, posts, seo, shortcode, sidebar, social, twitter, widget, widgets, wordpress, video, audio
Suggested Plugins by CreativeMinds
- CM Ad Changer – Manage, Track and Report Advertising Campaigns Across Sites. Can turn your Turn your WP into an Ad Server
- CM Super ToolTip Glossary – Easily creates a Glossary, Encyclopaedia or Dictionary of your website’s terms and shows them as a tooltip in posts and pages when hovering. With many more powerful features.
- CM Download Manager – Allows users to upload, manage, track and support documents or files in a download directory listing database for others to contribute, use and comment upon.
- CM Answers Plugin – A fully-featured WordPress Questions & Answers Plugin that allows you to build multiple discussion forum systems Just like StackOverflow, Yahoo Answers and Quora, Now with MicroPayment and Anonymous posting support!.
- CM MicroPayments – Adds the in-site support for your own “virtual currency”. The purpose of this plugin is to allow in-site transactions without the necessity of processing the external payments each time (quicker & easier). Developers can use it as a platform to integrate with their own plugins.
- CM Restrict Content – A full-featured, powerful membership solution and content restriction plugin for WordPress. Support access by role to content on your site.
- CM OnBoarding – Superb Guidance tool which improves the online experience and
the user satisfaction.
- CM Booking Calendar – Customers can easily schedule appointments and pay for them directly through your website.
- Upload the plugin folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- A bővítmény bekapcsolása a WordPress “Bővítmények” menü részénél lehetséges
- Define your glossary terms under the glossary menu item in the administration interface. The title of the page should be the term. The body content should be the definition.
- Creates a main Glossary page (example “Glossary”) with no body content, if you so wish. If you do not create this page then your terms will still be highlighted, but without a central listing page of all your terms.
- In the plugin’s dashboard preferences, enter the main Glossary page’s id (optional as above)
- There are a handful of other optional preferences available in the dashboard.
Note: You must have a call to wp_head() in your template in order for the Tooltip js and css to work properly. If your theme does not support them you will need to link to these files manually in your theme (not recommended).
Does my main glossary page need to be titled “Glossary”?
No. It can be called anything. In fact you don’t even need to have a main Glossary page.
Do I need to manually type in an unordered list of my glossary terms on the Glossary page?
No. Just leave that page blank. The plugin will create an unordered list of terms automatically.
How do I add glossary terms?
Simply add a term under the ‘Glossary’ section in the admnistration interface. Title it the glossary term you want (ex. “WordPress”) and put the term’s definition into the body (ex. “A neato Blogging Platform”).
What if I need to add or change a glossary term?
Just add it and then change it. The links for your glossary terms are added to your page and post content on the fly so your glossary links will always be up to date.
How do I prevent the glossary from parsing a paragraph?
Just wrap the paragraph with [glossary_exclude] paragraph text [/glossary_exclude].
You can use glossaryLink. You can also define glossaryLinkMain if you wish to have a different style in the main glossary page
Közreműködők és fejlesztők
“CM Tooltip Glossary – Better SEO and UEX for your WP site” egy nyílt forráskódú szoftver. A bővítményhez a következő személyek járultak hozzá:Közreműködők